We are currently battling Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).
With an insulin pump you have to move infusion sites every 3 to 5 days, according to the manufacturer. However, as an opportunity of being young we have to change more frequently due to skin senstivity. If we don’t, we encounter a bad site complete with poor insulin absorption and possibly a granuloma, if not full rejection. Yeah that has happened to us. Imagine waking up to an infusion site in the bed, a soaking wet infant, a sky high blood sugar ( did you know that meters will tell you to consult a medical professional instead of giving you a number? ), and a baby with a nasty sore.
A few weeks ago we had a site go bad early. It wasn’t any different than any other bad site, bad blood sugars all day, always needing a teeny bit more insulin for correction. For several days it looked fine then…bam. One day it started to swell. The next day it looked like this:
It was draining and red and all sorts of gross. I immediately started in on colloidal silver and tea tree oil. The next day it was visibly better. We weren’t concerned really until ketones presented. So we scheduled a doctors appointment. We felt that we had the ketones under control, especially since his BG was not effected. After several treatments of colloidal silver, tea tree oil, and magnesium bentonite clay. I was able to get it to look like this in just 24 hours.
It was red and swollen and the doctor freaked out. He started in on how he felt like it might need to be surgically drained and how the abscess was probably the size of a golf ball. We were immediately sent to the closest childrens hospital. Where we waited for several hours, despite being transferred by our network affiliated pedi. They had us with hold all food or liquids until the dr saw us. Have you ever had to withhold food and water from a starving toddler? Especially when you know that is what is required to flush the toxins (ketones) from his body. Then the doc comes in tells us he D is on the verge of being admitted and possible surgery. Of course, would put any mother into crisis mode. I am convinced they do it on purpose. He ordered a sonogram, labs, and IV fluids and Clydomyacin STAT. He allowed D to eat, but then drew labs. 2 hours later he freaks out about a high blood sugar.
Hello buddy you let my kid eat then drew his BG. I didn’t go to medical school, but even I can tell you it was going to be high. Immediately he says D can no longer eat, “because his sugar is out of control.” Not only that, but you can’t withhold food from a kid simply because his BG is high. Trust me he is eating healthy, TRUST me. Correct his BG and move on. Either take the labs first, or expect a high sugar. In fact, when I did try to correct him based on their BG reading his pump said his BG was spot on for his active insulin. MEANING, that his body was functioning exactly the way it was expected to, we were just waiting for his insulin to kick in. What a dumb@ss.
After all of this, we find out that the infection isn’t even half as bad as it was suspected. The sonogram confirmed that it did not even breech the first layer of skin and was millimeters wide. That is a pretty small golfball. In fact, I am pretty sure that Polly Pocket wouldn’t be able to play golf with one that size.
We head home and continue to treat with silver. Actually as I write this post I am able see that what we were doing was making a great difference. In fact had it not been for the ketones, we would have never gone into the doctor. I hate that too, because for days we were stuck in the what if game. What if we are making even more resistant bacteria because he already had one dose? What f he doesn’t get better? What if I end up putting my kid in the hospital?
I remember the real turning point was two days later when I put him in his high epsom salt bath and junk just came pouring out like snakes on a plane. Haha. It was gross but good.
1 full week later here is what the site looks like, silver did the killin but the mud did the healing. The funny thing is that my husband, had to CALL the hospital days later for the results of the culture. Yup it’s MRSA, and according to whomever he spoke with, MRSA is the new Staph. They just expect all cultures to come back positive. ::eyerolls::
So now that we have been exposed and infected, we will just be waiting for the next time for this to happen.
So what did I learn this time?
- Dont jump to conclusions
- Western medicine gains control by use of fear
- Follow your heart not your fear
- Educate yourself